2019 BYU English Symposium
Thank you for your interest in BYU’s Spring 2019 English Symposium, which will be held February 28 – March 1. We welcome proposals for presentations in all areas of English studies and creative writing. You may submit a proposal for more than one of the three following presentation formats; however, we would like as many students to participate in the English Symposium as possible, so participation may be limited to one presentation each.
Please follow instructions at these links to submit a proposal to your chosen format(s):
- 15-minute research presentations in panels of 3-4 presenters (Deadline: 31 December 2018)
- 3-minute presentations in the 3MP Competition (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- creative writing panels (Deadline: 16 January 2019)
- NEW for 2019: SHORT FILM COMPETITION!!! (Deadline: 11 February 2019)
You can return to this website any time before our submission deadlines and submit additional proposals (as long as they are for a different presentation format).
All BYU undergraduates and graduate students are welcome to submit a proposal, as well as those who graduated in December 2018. You need not be pursuing English Studies in order to submit a proposal, provided the content is appropriate for the English Symposium.
Fame, Glory & Prizes
- All presenters may choose to archive their presentations in BYU’s ScholarsArchive.
- Excellent research papers will be selected for publication in Criterion, BYU’s journal of literary criticism
- “My English+ Story” and 3MP presentations will be filmed and featured on YouTube and in English Department media
- Cash awards for winners in the 3MP competition and the Short Film competition